We just unveiled our challenge dolls for this year for Stitchin' Time Cloth Doll Club. The challenge this year was to swap doll parts at various meetings and to complete a doll using the swapped parts. We brought heads and bodies to the first meeting. I received an unsculpted head and body from Donna Madsen. I needle sculpted the face and used Pigma pens and Prismacolor pencils to complete the face. The arms came at another meeting from Roxanne Sienkiewicz. She makes beautiful hands. The arms and hands were black fabric. I gessoed them and painted them to match the face.
Part of the challenge was to go outside your box. My box is rather small. I do traditional dolls. I have a hard time doing something different. The next exchange was legs. I missed that meeting as I was at my brother's memorial service. I was able to use something I didn't make in lieu of legs. Our local craft recycling center M.E.C.C.A. had a "Fill a Bag For a Buck" day. I found a dome woven of twigs. It only partially filled the bag. I was able to fill the rest of the bag with lots of fibers, some fabric and odd "stuff" for mixed media and still only pay a dollar.
I attached the body to the twigs and then was stuck as to what to do next. So I did what I always do - procrastinate until the last minute. Dolls were due last Thursday. I waited until Tuesday and finally started to do something. I have been hand dyeing ribbons, silk fabrics and lace so why not use some of it. I dye both silk ribbon and rayon tape. The rayon is varigated colors and is much cheaper than the silk. since I needed a lot of it the rayon won out. Her body and arms are wrapped in ribbon. The skirt is drapped with more ribbon and her sleeves are loops of ribbon.
Her wig is crocheted fibers. I mold my own hats of real hat felt. This is made from old Russian fur felt from a company that has been out of business for a long time. The trims are my hand dyed silk ribbons and flowers made from those ribbons.
In the closeup of her face I can see pins in her hatband. I hadn't decided if I was going to change it when the picture was taken.